We've had some great times on the canoe this year. On our first trip out of the season, we saw a bunch of turtles sunbathing and we saw a family of ducks including little ducklings. One weekend, we had the most amazing experience while out on the canoe. We brought the fishing pole and the kids took turns fishing. Cameron caught a small mouth bass pretty quickly, and we released it. A little later he caught another one, this time it was a trout. When Brian released it, the fish just laid on the top of the water like it was dead (it wasn't). Within seconds, an eagle swooped down to grab the fish but just missed it. This was within 15 feet of our canoe. Seconds later, a 2nd eagle swooped down and this time got the fish and flew back up to a nest in a nearby tree. We could see the eagle and the fish in the nest and then we saw 2 crows dive bombing at the eagle to try to get the fish. I felt like we were on national geographic. I wish I had thought to video it (I was holding my phone) but of course I was scared out of my mind that the eagle was going to come at us so I froze.
We kept trying to explain to the kids how unbelievable it was to see this happen. I'm not sure that they realize it, but I do think they will always remember this. I know I will.
Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Nice pictures.
ReplyDelete