Dear Adelyn and Cameron-
To say that 2020 has been a challenging year is an understatement. None of us could have predicted the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact it would have on our day-to-day lives. I have tried so hard to find the silver linings of this and have been grateful for all it has taught me and especially the way you both have adjusted. It reminded me how resilient kids really are, and I am so proud of you both. You have found new ways to "choose happy" and that has filled my cup with joy.
Now we are facing an entirely different crisis, but this one has been in front of us for hundreds and hundreds of years. This one leaves me feeling angry and helpless and ashamed and sad. My heart is broken. I am searching for the right words to talk to you about it and researching what I can do or say to you. I want to help stop the pattern of injustice that has existed my entire life and the life of your grandparents and great-grandparents and on and on. I want to live to see it end.
We don't often talk about race as a family. We are a privileged family who has never had to experience the racism or injustice or discrimination that so many people have to fight every single day. I want to make sure that we are not contributing to this, and we don't accept that "this is just the way things are." I want to help you realize that things can change. Actions matter and it is possible to change a system that is not serving and protecting the people who need it most. Yes, our world feels broken right now but it doesn't have to stay that way. Maybe that is what it takes to actually rebuild it. I believe in hope, and I want you both to continue to believe that anything is possible. Not just for you but for everyone, regardless of the color of their skin.
So my pledge to you is to not ignore this because it's uncomfortable or unfair. Let's take take this time to learn more and talk about how we feel and what we can do. I don't know how to do this but my promise to you is to do it anyway. We will fumble our way through together. I hope we will look back and see this time as a true turning point and not another missed opportunity to make a difference.
Love,
Mom
Tuesday, June 2, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I too hope that the changes people need from decision-makers will actually happen. We're in a moment where our country is being called out (again!) for not living up to its ideals.
ReplyDelete