Wednesday, June 19, 2013

One Tapato Two Tapato

Disclaimer: I realize this post won't translate well since it is one of those "you had to be there stories" but since this is a record about my kids I have to have this written down so I can remember it someday. It will always bring a smile to my face.

Every night I read to Addy before bed. The patience she has for books still amazes me. Several months ago we were reading a nursery rhyme book and there was a rhyme called One Potato, Two Potato. The whole thing is just:

One potato, two potato,
Three potato, four;
Five potato, six potato,
Seven potato, more!

Well for whatever reason Addy started saying this over and over but she kept saying tapato instead of potato. It was one of those things that made me laugh so hard I cried. It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud, but given the right circumstances, once I start it's hard for me to stop. This was one of those times and Addy couldn't stop laughing either. So there we were both laughing hysterically, truly until it hurt, saying "one topato, two tapato" over and over and over. We couldn't ever get past the first line because we were laughing so hard no other words would come. 

This moment must have really stuck with Addy because to this day as soon as she starts to say "one tapato, two tapato" she starts laughing instantly and hysterically. Occasionally it makes me laugh loudly, but never quite the same as the first time so I think it confuses Addy that I don't react the same each time. What I find the most fascinating is when a new funny situation happens that makes me laugh, Addy almost always brings up one tapato two tapato. Just tonight we were laughing about something else and she mentioned those words. I think she's always trying to recreate the magic of the first time and to see if she can get me to laugh as hard as that. I love that it's so easy for her to go back to that original moment and her reaction and it's a good reminder to me to just stop and enjoy a good laugh when I get the chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment