Sunday, November 27, 2016

The never-ending-ever-lasting-longest-bridge-in-the-world!

One of the things on our list to do was go to Granville Island. I was in charge of navigating and according to the walking map of Vancouver, which was my trusty partner, it looked like it was pretty easy to walk there. I decided it didn't look too far and that we could easily walk there. Famous last words. The first step required walking all the way across to the other side of the city (which according to the map shouldn't take more than 20 minutes). The kids were already complaining before we were halfway, but we soldiered on. Then we got on the bridge. At first it was exciting because we could see exactly where we were headed, Granville Island Public Market! It was just below us...but there was a problem. The bridge just kept going. We had no way down so we just kept going, and going, and going. It truly felt never-ending, but we had to just keep walking. There was nowhere to stop and nowhere to sit so we just kept going. I think about three-quarters of the way across we all got a little delirious and suddenly the bridge became the funniest part of the trip. Why did I think it was good idea to walk all the way across town? Why did we have to walk on the busy, loud, narrow bridge? And why did it feel like the bridge was never going to end?
Finally, we made it to the other side and we made it to market. As a reward for their hard work, we spent a ton of time at the kids market and the kids got to play in "adventure zone" while Brian and I just sat, thankful to be off the bridge. I don't know how the kids had the energy to keep going!
We ended up taking a little passenger ferry back across to the other side of the city, but there was still a lot of walking back to the hotel and I'm really impressed that the kids made it. According to the fitbit, I walked 9 miles, and it felt like 8 of them were on that bridge!


Cold, forced smiles on the bridge. Even the sun seemed to be worth complaining about. 

oh wait, the end was near!


 New burst of energy at adventure zone! 


 These were painted concrete silos on the island at the concrete factory. The last part of the old industrial area. 
 Happy to be on the ferry headed back instead of the bridge! (which was right above us)




No comments:

Post a Comment