Monday, February 3, 2020

2020 Ski Trip Getaway #1: Chapter 2

Day 2 of the trip started off great. We got an early start (but not crazy early) because it was only about a 35 minute drive to the mountain. The forecast called for a possible 8 inches of snow so we were ready with our layers and a shovel! We got to park right next to lodge and were already enjoying the perks of not having to do a 3 hour morning drive. This was fabulous!

Cameron wanted to start on the tow rope so we all did that first. Mistake #1. It was yet another new type of tow rope and he wasn't exactly sure how to do it. He lost his grip on the holder part and was just holding the line. I was following him and tried giving him my holder. Mistake #2. It accidentally hit him and knocked him over. Within 5 minutes on the hill he was on the ground in tears holding up the tow rope line. We pepped talked him out of it and said it was best to skip the tow rope and go straight for the chairlift. In order to get to the right one we had to go down another part of the hill. I told Brian and Addy to go ahead and Cam and I would meet them later. Mistake #3. Cameron was really scared of the hill because it was new. Also because of the snow (which really was rain pretending to be snow) you couldn't see very far in front of you to know what it was really like. I gave my very best motivation talks but Cameron's stubbornness prevailed and he took off his skis and walked down the hill. We weren't 20 minutes in and I think we both wanted to call it a day.

I  managed to persuade him into getting on the chair lift and on the ride up we made a deal. He had to be "all in" today and if he still didn't like it he didn't have to ski the next day. But he had to give today a solid effort and not give up before he even started. He agreed and I thought my challenges were behind me. Mistake #4. At the top of the chairlift we got off and the wind was so strong and the snow/rain was so heavy it was hard to see. I again had to pull out my best inspirational chats, I channelled all of my Oprah influence and after at least 10 minutes of not moving, he agreed to start. I'm not sure how long it took to get down that hill but in my head it was hours. The next few runs were better and his fear continued to decrease. Unfortunately the snow/rain and wind combo continued to increase and it didn't take long for me to realize that no matter how many layers you put on when you are skiing in the equivalent of rain you get cold and wet. We made the most of our "all in attitude" and skied until we were hungry for lunch, which was about 2 hours later.

We couldn't find Addy and Brian but we headed to the lodge and got our lunch and attempted to dry off. You don't actually realize how wet you are until you have to put soaking wet gloves and hats back on. You literally could wring water out of them. When we got back out it wasn't long before we ran into Addy and Brian. Addy was in tears, was soaking wet and wanted to leave. At the sound of hearing this Cameron declared he wanted to leave. I looked at Brian and he knew it was 3 against 1. We skied down the hill together and packed it up for the day. The forecast for 8 inches of snow didn't materialize because it was rain, not snow. No one complained about heading back to the cabin early. Skiing does not bring out my "best self" and I was worried about having to replaying this the next day. Day 2 was a total bust.

No comments:

Post a Comment