Thursday, September 30, 2010

Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." Normally this is not a saying I would really believe in but it definitely applies to the last 24 hours. We were supposed to be flying to Iowa today for Brian's brother's wedding but things didn't go exactly as planned. Addy hasn't been herself for a couple weeks now but her symptoms were changing enough that we thought she would be fine in time for this trip. Yesterday she definitely got worse. Normally at daycare she takes two 30-45 minute naps, but yesterday she slept for a total of almost 4 hours. She looked tired and was very lethargic and sad. She didn't want to move around or play at all. We checked her temperature and she had a fever of 102. All she wanted was to be held and curl up in your arms. We put her to bed early and hoped that her fever and cough would improve by the morning. We called the nurse who suggested we bring her in today to make sure she was ok to fly.
This morning we called first thing and our doctor was nice enough to squeeze her in right away. So I took her in while Brian finished packing and getting ready for the trip. After checking her out the Dr. confirmed that Addy not only had this lingering cold but had an ear infection in both ears. She gave me a prescription for some antibiotics and tips for how to deal with her likely pain during the flights. By the time I got back home we had about an hour before it was time to head to the airport for our flight. While Addy had her bottle, Brian and I were talking through how best to prepare for the flight when all of the sudden Addy threw up all over the kitchen floor. It was the second time she threw up that morning (the first time was in our bed which meant we had to strip our bed and wash everything) It was as if it was her way of reminding us just how sick she was. In an instant Brian and I agreed that it just didn't make sense to take her on this trip. We were so focused on what had to be done to make the trip happen we were ignoring all of the signs of why it shouldn't. We decided I would stay home with her and Brian would go by himself. It was both an incredibly difficult decision and an easy one at the same time. Flying with a healthy baby is a lot of work, I couldn't imagine doing two flights with a sick child with double ear infections. I am extremely sad to be missing the big day but now getting Addy better is my main goal over the next few days. I'm hoping her and I can both get ourselves healthy again and that nothing else that could go wrong does.

No comments:

Post a Comment