As soon as we found out we were pregnant we started getting a lot of advice from other parents. The most common piece of advice we got was to not share the name until the baby was born. Everyone said you end up getting all kinds of feedback that you aren't looking for. People can't help but share that they once knew someone with that name that they didn't like, or offer up some negative nickname that could be associated with a particular name. So we took that advice, and before we even knew what we were going to name our child, we agreed not to tell anyone, and believe it or not we didn't.
Of course this wasn't easy, especially for my family. It drove them crazy that we weren't sharing. My Dad must have tried a hundred different times to get the name out of us. It was hard for us too and of course we needed something to refer to her as when we were with other people. So after yet another inquiry from my Dad on what her name would be, we told him we were going to name her Rainshadow. The name stuck and for several months we referred to her as Rainshadow to our family, friends and coworkers. Most conversations would start with "how is Rainshadow doing today?" or "what did you learn about Rainshadow from the Dr. today?" It was a perfectly ridiculous name for our little girl & it helped us keep her name a secret. I am definitely glad that the secret is out, but I must admit I am a little sad to know that Rainshadow is now gone forever. Thanks Rainshadow, we'll miss you.
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Megan, after ALL my comments about how amazing I found the swaddling to be, I thought I would add the following verse to your blog.
ReplyDeleteOde to Swaddling
ReplyDeleteI know that I'm hot as hip as I was
And some time I act like a dummy,
Yet, though I do try
I still don't know why
My grandchild is wrapped like a mummy!
First, Addy wakes up and she may start to fuss
It's then on to her organic bottle
Then they wrap her in clothes
From her head to her toes
It's something -- they call it a swaddle.
The theory I guess is while still in the womb
The baby has limited motion.
So to dupe that sensation
They do simulation
They bind her with loving devotion.
We've read in the Bible of 'swaddling' clothes
So I guess that it must be okay.
But it doesn't seem right
To wrap her so tight
So frequently ev-er-y day.
But, I must say this, it really does work
I'd even call it amazing.
She murmurs and coos
(It's better than booze)
And swaddling now gets my praising!
Thanks Dad! Glad to know you approve of the swaddling...guess what? Addy is sleeping soundly right now and is SWADDLED! She's great, but she misses her Papa.
ReplyDeleteI am now a follower of your blog. I love it. You have a beautiful family. Congratulations you two. By the way, why was I not told of this Rainshadow? Maybe Brian didn't want me to know. Can I call Adelyn Rainshadow just once or is it over? Love you guys.
ReplyDelete